Monday, August 6, 2012

Spicy Leafy Chickpea Fritters




These delicious little fritters are one of my go-to meals when I'm starving and impatient. With protein from the chickpeas (and avocado if you use it to top them off), and a high vitamin count from the leafy greens - they're nutritious too! They will leave you feeling satisfied (after two... no four... no six fritters... what the heck eat them all they are packed with goodness!). Feel free to mix it up each time you make them with different spices and greens. The first time I made these I seasoned them with curry and they were amazing. However, I have fallen in love with this variation below. I hope you fall in love with these little guys too, I mean, who doesn't like an excuse to use the word "fritters"?

Ingredients
2 cups cooked, rinsed, and drained organic chickpeas (or garbanzo beans, same thing)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
3/4 teaspoon cayenne (or more or less depending on your love for spiciness)
1 1/2 cups finely chopped greens (I used baby romaine this time)

Top with pico de gallo and/or avocado.

Place a medium size pan on the stove, drizzle with a teaspoon of olive oil, and set to medium/medium-high heat. Place chickpeas in a large mixing bowl, and with your hands squish and squeeze and mash until about 3/4 of the beans are completely mashed. Add in the spices and mash more to combine. Lastly, add the chopped greens and mix to incorporate. Create small little "fritter" patties with your hands, and place in skillet. Cook fritters for 5-6 minutes on each side - or until your desired level of crispiness is reached. Serve with (my favorite) pico de gallo and/or avocado on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment